I received a letter from Julie Heath in the Warner Brothers Clip Licensing Department. This is who I sent in my faxed request to use the Fountainhead clip last week. It turns out I am not allowed to use the clip so for now I will leave it up at YouTube and let them take the heat and keep pursuing more info. And I quote:
Dear Mr. Griffin:
Thank you for your facsimile letter received May 14, 2007 in connection with the above (see Fountainhead).
Please be advised, as a general policy, Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. does not license clips for use on non-Time Warner websites and we do not wish to make an exception in this instance.
I am sorry that we cannot be of assistance.
Sincerely,
Julie Heath
ED
So that is a bummer. I am going to set up a call with Julie to ask her more about licensing the clip. There has to be a way to use it legally or at least help clarify some of the ways that people can legally use these clips.
With the rise of things like YouTube its seems that more effort has to go into teaching people the correct way to license content like this and what can happen if you don't do it legally. It's really swimming in murky, unexplained waters and no one is really saying anything except "Take that down." I think it will take an army of lawyers for Warner Bros to monitor all these video sharing services and blogs that will use this clip or others like it. How will the licensing of clips and footage look in the future. That is what Cutcaster is trying to solve. An efficient, secure and understandable licensing structure and royalty tracker. Any thoughts?
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Clip Request Letter From Warner Brothers Recieved...
Posted by
Cutcaster
at
9:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cutcaster
Do you remember your first sale? We do!!!

With all the blatant plagiarism going on, you would think content owners would want to milk the royalties as much as possible, and be glad that there are honest people who will want to use their content legally.
ReplyDelete