Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"I Can't Wait To Go To College"

The words above, so innocent and on this day so haunting, are from the Gus Van Sant film Elephant, the Palme D'Or-winning, stunningly beautiful and harrowing meditation on a school shooting loosely based on the Columbine massacre. I will never forget the first time I saw the film. From the moment the film's opening shot of an inscrutably blue-black Oregon sky, I realized I was about to witness the re-creation of the unimaginable.

We at Cutcaster, along with an entire nation, naturally mourn yet another re-creation of the unimaginable, this one, of course, not in a darkened movie theater amongst strangers, but on the campus of one of the finer Institutions of higher learning in America. Cutcaster's mission is and will remain one of building a strong, global community where video and images are bought, sold, advertised, requested and found. On this day, however, we must bow to the unbelievably sad reality that some footage and images are simply too horrific to grasp or bear to watch on TV. And while we share the ineffable sadness of a nation united, a nation with 300 million hearts aimed toward Blacksburg, Virginia, we pledge to maintain the ethical and focused job that lies at our feet. We will pause today in light of remembrance to those whose flames were snuffed out senselessly all too soon.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought of Elephant and Columbine (not "Bowling for..."). Well said.

    I found this site by searching for blog references to Blacksburg and Van Sant's Elephant. I'm very intrigued by the overall concept here, though. I'll bookmark it and check back soon.

    ReplyDelete

Cutcaster

Cutcaster
Do you remember your first sale? We do!!!